Saturday, June 4, 2011

Kyle Mulle: In the Valley of Eden // #proudsister

Just yesterday, I bid farewell to my love, my brother, seeing him off on the journey of a lifetime.  A whole catalogue of emotions ran through me as we parted and I made my way back to my comfortable and familiar apartment thereafter, but the strongest of these was pride.   I am proud of my brother, and I am proud to be his big (hardly) sister.  Hence I share with you an excerpt of his very first blog entry.  Should his words engage you the way I believe capable, check out the rest of his blog when you have the chance.  For now, here's a glance.

Taxi to the East Side

"This is my first blog, and I am writing from the desk of my apartment in Amman, Jordan. Likewise, this is the first time I have traveled to Jordan and for that matter the Middle East. For the next month I will be studying at a language school across the street from the University of Jordan. On June 30 when I depart, I will fly to Beirut, Lebanon and will live among Palestinian refugees in the Shatila camp on the west side of town for another month. In addition to my own studies, I will be teaching English to youth living in the camp.
...
"
Eden is geographically attributed to an area near the headwaters of the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers, which is Iraq, though it is also purportedly in the area of greater Syria, which includes Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and traditional Palestine. In the Book of Genesis, God charged Adam with tending the Garden of Eden, where there lay two trees; the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life. As the story goes, Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge, and then God banished them from the Garden forever and hid the Tree of Life. In the Book of Ezekiel, he claimed that the Trees in the Garden came from what is today Lebanon.

Today, I am not only in the part of the world where this fabled utopia once existed, but I also am on a philosophical journey seeking both knowledge, and in many ways my own path in life. It is for these reasons that I title my blog 'In the Valley of Eden.' I hope that you all will enjoy my writing and that I can share some of my knowledge and experiences with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment